A personal journey by the Videometrics founder through the bladder cancer patient care pathway.
Seeing the challenges, talking with care givers, learning how his background in developing visual systems could help in bladder cancer diagnosis.
Biosignatures with published expertise in cancer diagnostics research.
TotalLab with 20 years developing scientific software and supporting key opinion leader sites worldwide.
Videometrics concept prototyped in 2015 to urology surgeons and clinicians.
Operational system available soon for feasibility testing in your clinic with personal support from the Videometrics team.
Needs to address for the UK
Around a quarter of bladder cancer cases are diagnosed at a late stage in England (2014) and Northern Ireland (2010-2014)1.
Bladder cancer has one of the highest recurrence rates of any known cancer2, 3, 4.
Prevalence and nature of its management make bladder cancer one of the most expensive cancers for the NHS5.
We want to reduce patient distress in UK clinics
Bladder cancer has a strong psychological impact due to the Involvement of the urogenital tract and the nature of the available treatments, in addition to the physical impact of the disease5.
In an aging population
55% of UK bladder cancer cases are diagnosed in people aged 75 and over (2012-2014)1. In Europe, approximately 70% of patients with bladder cancer are aged 65 years and over6. The incidence of bladder cancer [in the USA, 2016] increases with age, with the median age at diagnosis being 65 years3.
Innovation in collaboration with Videometrics
We have been working in partnership with the team at the Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust to develop the Videometrics system. Our archive of flexible cystoscopic examination recordings from a symptomatic adult population are used to test the performance of new features and system enhancements in development. Find out more on future developments here.
At Videometrics we understand that developing systems for clinical use has to be done right. That’s why one of the first things we did was the CICERO study – to make sure that we took the system in the direction clinicians needed and to generate the data required to ensure the system works as intended in your clinic.
Let’s meet and talk about how Videometrics could be developed to support you.
1. Cancer Research UK. Bladder cancer statistics. Available at: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/bladder-cancer#heading-Zero. [Accessed May 2017]
2. Action Bladder Cancer UK. The Facts About Bladder Cancer. Available at: http://actionbladdercanceruk.org/the-facts-about-bladder-cancer/ [Accessed May 2017].
3. Steinberg, G. D. (2017) Bladder Cancer. Available at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/438262-overview [Accessed May 2017]
4. Miremami, J. and Kyprianou, N. (2014) The Promise of Novel Molecular Markers in Bladder Cancer. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 15(12), 23897-23908 DOI: 3390/ijms151223897
5. NICE (2015) Bladder cancer: diagnosis and management NICE guideline [NG2]. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng2 [Accessed May 2017]
6. Bellmunt, J., Orsola, A., Leow, J. J., Wiegel, T., De Santis, M. & Horwich, A. (2014) Bladder cancer: ESMO Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Annals of Oncology 25(Supplement 3): iii40 – iii48 DOI: 1093/annonc/mdu223